Ways to Save on Vacation
Plan your next vacation ahead to ensure that you get the most for your money without sacrificing a good time.
Then relax, knowing that you might even have funds left over when you get home. Here’s how:
- Airfare. Book flights on Google Flights, Orbitz, or Expedia. Sign up for alerts from websites like Skyscanner, Kayak, or Airfarewatchdog; follow other travel sites on social media as well. Call your airline agent and ask for a deal. Use a regional airport—low-cost airlines often don’t service the large international airports.
- Lodging. If you book by phone, ask the desk agent to beat the online rate. Consider an apartment or home rental instead of a hotel—you’ll save even more by cooking your own meals. Consider booking a place to stay through Airbnb or VRBO.
- Food. Make lunch your main meal. Lunches often are 30% cheaper than the same entrées on a dinner menu and you’ll be less likely to splurge on expensive alcoholic beverages. Stock up on snack foods before you leave home and replenish your supply at local grocery stores rather than convenience marts. Save money by cooking your own meals.
- Search for vacation package deals. Package deals often give great discounts. Find them on Expedia and Priceline, or daily deal sites like Groupon Getaways and LivingSocial.
- Use a travel rewards card. Look for a card with no foreign transaction fee and generous rewards. Credit union credit cards often offer freedom of choice for airlines. Sun East has great options for a Rewards Credit Card and Rewards Debit Card.
- Book by your budget. If budget is more important than destination, search “explore” on Kayak or “flights” on Google. Select your departure city, season of travel, price, and get ready to be inspired.
- Add a free destination. Find deals under “special offers” or by searching “stopover” on your airline’s website. You might be able to squeeze in an extra destination at little cost by adding a layover of 6 or more hours. You can take a quick tour of a city in that time and make it back to the airport for the final leg of your journey.
- Travel off-season. If you’re flexible, travel in the shoulder seasons—just before or after peak season depending on your destination. Prices are low, the weather could be really nice, shops and restaurants are open, and there are fewer tourists.
Remember: The professionals at Sun East Federal Credit Union are ready to help with all your savings needs. Call us at (610) 485-2960 to set up short-term and long-term savings options that fit your needs.